Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It Could Have Been A Whole Lot Worse

I'm in a period of reflection. I've made it part of my "recovery;" that's the term AA and Al-Anon uses to describe the period after one realizes they are powerless over alcohol. It my case, it's as a person who is powerless over the alcohol use in someone else.

I've been journaling/blogging a lot (more journaling than blogging) about my experience as a single mother and what a challenge it's been. I realize that humans are born to 2 parents because parents really need to tag team one another at times. Well, I don't currently have a tag team partner. If Ex took being a parent seriously, we could still tag team one another even though we are divorced.

Things have been so hard over the last 5 years. There have been money crises, there's more than my share of physical and mental exhaustion, there have been times when all I wanted to do is curl up in a corner and cry.

When I look at Ex, I realize how much farther I could have fallen emotionally/mentally/financially if I had chosen to remain married to him. I realize that if I'd chosen to not return to the workforce, I wouldn't have had any choice but to remain married. I'm glad I finished college when I did, even though I really wanted to quit.

Honestly, things could be terrible, but they're not. I've got a decent job with security (a HUGE bonus in this economy). I've got 2 healthy parents who help with The Kid's care. I have enough money in the bank to pay my bills are have a little fun. I am about 1.5 years away from paying off the debts that have been weighing on my mind for over 6 years. I've got really smart and generous friends who love me and The Kid. The Kid has the sweetest little friends and I'm lucky enough to like and respect their parents. I still get to visit my 87 y/o grandmother whenever I want and I still get to enjoy her stories. My family is nuts, but loving and supportive. I'm healthy and I've got a healthy kid. I'm glad for the quality time I spend with The Kid and the quality time I spend with only myself.

I've been thinking that while things aren't perfect (I don't believe in perfection anyway), things could be a lot worse than they are.

No comments: