Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Does It Matter What Other People Think?

We all know it doesn't, especially when it's about our kids. I dare anyone to tell me that I am not doing my best for The Kid. You don't want to deal with that wrath, trust me.

The point is, when it comes to kids, people need to mind their own business. Sometimes I see mothers of 4 or 5 who have their shit together in ways I only dream about. My only child is happy, whether I have my shit together or not.

I have no interest in debating divorce with someone who a) hasn't been through it, particularly with kids in tow, or b) are close minded idiots.Divorce is a simple, yet ugly word that defines the worst about human nature. It means that someone stopped loving someone else and didn't even want to try anymore. At least that's how I define it. I permanently divided a family, yet I don't feel guilty. I deserve happiness too. Ex isn't the only one who didn't get what they wanted. Actually, since he went out and got hammered quite often, the way I look at it, he got what he wanted infinitely more often. I got to do all the work, and he had all the fun...and he had his laundry done for him.

But really, it doesn't even matter what Ex thinks. I have a theory, a mantra even, that we are all responsible for our own happiness. If one isn't happy, then one can't help others achieve happiness. If one is always feeling lonely, it doesn't matter if one is alone or in a room full of people, one will still be lonely. My happiness was paid for by my marriage, but I have no regrets. While I miss being married, I don't miss being married to Ex, which was a lesson in loneliness from start to finish. I am happy now, and although I am alone, I'm not lonely.

I have one person and one divine being to whom I need to make good...The Kid and God. I thank God for The Kid and The Kid defines the ultimate goodness of God. I'm not a church-going woman, but I have much faith. Faith has carried me through the darkest times of my life and has lit the most wonderful times of my life.

So what does it matter what others think? I think we all need validation. We need to fit in somewhere: in our families or or friends or our work or our communities, but essentially, the only one you really need to be true to is yourself. It really doesn't matter what other think. I think it was Dr. Seuss who once said, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." That's the ultimate truth.

No comments: