Wednesday, December 26, 2007

So, Did You Survive?

I had a wonderful Christmas!!!

It was filled with love and family and carbs...how can you go wrong?

Mom and I, without knowing it, started a bit of a silent feud with her 2 sisters and their respective families last year. One is a fiery, and somewhat nasty, PITA and the other is so passive aggressive, I'm not sure how she can stand herself. Between the two of them, they have raised the four most spoiled, most self-indulgent children this side of Buckingham Palace. They all have this sense of entitlement and it disgusts me. I don't want to be around these people. The passive aggressive aunt has the nerve to feel bad for me because I am divorced, but I think it's only because her husband won't let her divorce him. He must have this facade of a happy family on display and it's really quite sickening. I'm not even going to waste blog space on the PITA aunt...there's not enough room in the cyber world to talk about all of her issues.

The last year has been quiet and drama-free since the feud began. I really don't mind it. What kind of message am I sending to my daughter if I allow myself to be treated like a second-class citizen by these people. I was treated like that by my Ex and I refuse to allow it to happen again.

But let's talk about happy stuff...I bought...ummm, I mean, Santa brought FRU a telescope for Christmas and she's in her glory. She's developed a healthy fascination with the planets and I want to encourage her interest in science. I'm planning on setting it up on the balcony tonight so she can do a bit of stargazing. I hope the weather cooperates...

We had a great time at my cousin's house. She makes this huge spread with entirely too much food, made Brandy Alexanders for everyone, made us all laugh and encourages carrying on...what better place is there for Christmas! FRU loves this cousin. When we were leaving to go to my former SIL's, she says, " I don't want to leave" to my cousin...it warmed my heart.

Tomorrow, my parents and I are taking FRU to the ballet, to see The Nutcracker. I think I'm more excited than she is, but only because she doesn't know what to expect. I saw The Nutcracker on New Years Eve when I was about 11 and I thought it was magical.

A few of my friends/mothers of FRU's friends are trying to figure out a night to have dinner together...sans kids...with no talk of chicken nuggets or potty training. I have another friend who wants to meet for coffee. And my family wants to get together on Friday to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge; I won't be able to join them, but we'll meet up for dinner.

I'm telling you, I know I've said this before, but I swear, life just keep getting better and better. And as for the people who think I'm doing the wrong thing, screw 'em!! They probably can't hack the fact that I'm a bit of a rebel. I do what's right for me and what's right for my kid. I don't have to explain my actions to anyone...and anyone who needs an explanation doesn't deserve one.

No comments: