Thursday, January 11, 2007

Coming Back to Center...

Earlier this week I was ranting and raving about dealing with the needs of others. Then I got some sense knocked into me...FRU got sick. It was just a virus but it was enough to keep her out of commission for 2 days. That brought me back to center.

Having to take care of a sick, helpless child is enough to humble anyone. Hearing the words, "Mommy, I trew up a little" at 4:35am sent me into panic mode. My child has hardly vomited at all so when she does, it's bad. I brought her to bed and never went back to sleep. I just watched her, ready to spring into lifesaving procedures if necessary.

Thinking about this got me to thinking about the different aspect of parenting. My parenting style is rather relaxed. I don't run wind sprints to the pediatrician every time FRU has a sniffle or a cough. Some parents would have had their child in the ER within minutes. Still, other parents would have done nothing, sent their child to school, hoping they wouldn't get a phone call to come pick him/her up.

When FRU gets sick, I react by getting a little crazy, then I try to bring it all into focus: What are her symptoms? Is she very uncomfortable? Is she drinking/eating? Does she have a fever? Once I have the basic questions answered, I can make a judgement about how to deal with her illness. She's only 4, so if you ask her what's wrong, she says, "I sick." When my father asked why she was staying home from school, she said, "I got 2 sicks." That translates to "I threw up twice."

Being a parent has humbles me in countless ways. There are many times I couldn't give a damn about how I look, but FRU was dressed to the nines. I have eaten week-old Chinese take-out, but FRU can get a fresh grilled cheese for breakfast if she wanted it.

I know certain women were not cut out for parenting. They make great aunts or godmothers or cousins or babysitters...but they simply can't parent.

Knowing that FRU I'm a good mother is always enough to bring me back to center. Knowing she thinks I'm fun and silly and the cat's pajamas is icing on the cake...

No comments: